Being an adult doesn’t necessarily correspond with having straight teeth. Countless individuals were unable to receive orthodontic treatment as children, experienced bite shift as they aged, or recently decided they would like to change their smiles. Unfortunately, wearing braces as an adult leaves something to be desired. Invisalign treatment is a welcome alternative. The main difference between the two treatments is simple: where braces restrict activities, Invisalign strives to give you free reign. Life with Invisalign is life as usual!
Metal Braces vs. Invisalign Treatment
The factors that best encompass the differences between the two types of orthodontic treatment include:
- Fixed vs. Removable – Metal braces must be bonded to your teeth in order to function. The brackets and bands will remain on your teeth for the duration of treatment, with your orthodontist replacing the attached wires each month. You will need to alter your daily life to ensure that you take proper care of your braces. Your diet will change, and your oral hygiene will become more time-consuming and complicated. Invisalign aligners are fully removable, leaving your life as is. No need to strain to clean and floss around braces, or cut sticky and chewy foods out of your eating habits.
- Obvious vs. Subtle – The moment you open your mouth, those around you will notice your metal braces. The dark brackets and colored bands can’t help but stand out. Invisalign aligners are made of clear plastic, and designed to blend in with your teeth. Only those paying the closest attention will notice that you have anything covering your smile.
- Sharp vs. Smooth – Brackets, bands, and wires tend to poke patients’ cheeks and tongues. This can lead to the need for wax or in-office adjustments. Smooth, plastic Invisalign trays sit comfortably in your mouth. Eventually, you won’t notice them throughout the day.
- Delicate vs. Durable – Metal braces are composed of a series of delicate pieces. These must be well cared for and cleaned in order for them to remain in place and straighten successfully. Invisalign trays are not only hardier, they’re replaced every few weeks. Your orthodontia will always be in top shape.
- Professionally controlled vs. personally controlled – When wearing braces, you’re required to visit your orthodontist every four weeks for new wires and monitoring of progress. While Invisalign also requires office visits, they’re less frequent – only needed every 6 weeks – because you are able to switch to new trays on your own. This allows your work and social schedules to remain more fluid even while you’re straightening.
Seattle Invisalign Provider on the Treatment Process
Life with Invisalign is very different from life with braces, and aims to please where traditional orthodontics frustrate. That being said, there are still some Invisalign care and wear tips to keep in mind. If you follow instructions, your treatment will be over as quickly as possible. During your time in Invisalign, remember the following rules:
- Brush and floss before replacing your aligners. Oral hygiene is always important, but especially crucial during Invisalign treatment. You need to remove food particles from between your teeth before putting your aligners back in. This will help prevent cavities and gum disease. We want your post-Invisalign smile to be a healthy one.
- Keep your appointments. Don’t forget to visit our office! If you miss one of your check-ins, it may take time to reschedule and could throw your progress off track.
- Wear your aligners 20-22 hours per day. If you don’t wear your aligners long enough each day, your teeth won’t be ready for the next set. Stay on schedule to see speedy results.
Ready to get started? Contact our office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Kim Okamura, one of Seattle’s Invisalign Premier Providers.